Member Login

Hair & Beauty Australia Industry Association

Parental leave for salon owners

Posted October 25, 2022

Parental leave is another entitlement under the NES and is available to eligible salon employees when a child is born or adopted. Parental leave can be taken by male and female workers, and casual employees may be eligible for parental leave if they are employed on a regular and systematic basis. Here’s everything salon owners need to know about Parental leave for the Hair and Beauty Industry.

What is parental leave?

Parental leave is an NES entitlement that can be taken when:

  • an employee gives birth to a child; or
  • the employee’s spouse or de facto partner gives birth; or
  • an employee adopts a child under 15 years of age.

Under the NES, employees are entitled to take up to 12 months of unpaid parental leave. They can also request to take an additional 12 months of leave that is unpaid. The NES does not require an employee to take a minimum period of parental leave, which means an employee can choose to take a longer or shorter period of leave up to a maximum of 12 months.

The leave must be taken in a single, continuous period. The rules around how leave can be taken vary. The HABA Advice Line can provide advice specific to an employee’s circumstances and specific to your business. HABA members can call the HABA Advice Line on 02 9221 9911 and speak to a workplace relations adviser.

Employees may also be eligible to receive payment from the government either via Parental Leave Pay or  Dad and Partner Pay. Some employers may also provide payment during parental leave under a specific company policy.

Who is eligible for parental leave?

To be eligible for parental leave under the NES, an employee must have completed at least 12 months’ service with their employer by the date of birth (or placement in an adoption situation) of the child.

Casual employees are only eligible for parental leave if they are a “long term casual employee”. This means they need to have been employed by the employer on a regular and systematic basis for at least 12 months. Casuals who are not long-term employees, or other employees with less than 12 months of service, are not eligible for parental leave under the NES. However, an employer should consider granting some form of leave to avoid claims of discrimination.

When parental leave must start

For birth-related leave, the period of leave must start no later than the date of the birth of the child. In the case of an adoption, an employee’s leave must start on the day of placement.

A pregnant employee can choose to start parental leave up to six weeks prior to the expected date of birth, but must not commence leave later than the child’s birth date. Leave can start earlier than six weeks before the expected due date by agreement between the employee and employer.

Notice requirements

An employee is required to provide notice to their employer of the intended start and end dates of the leave, at least 10 weeks from the intended start date.

The employee then must confirm the start and end dates of the leave at least 4 weeks from the start of parental leave.

Explaining parental leave rights and responsibilities to the employee

While most employees know they are entitled to leave, many do not understand the rights and responsibilities that come with parental leave. Therefore, it is recommended that the employer explains:

  • that employees may take up to 12 months’ unpaid leave. There is also an ability for an employee to request an extension of parental leave for a further period of up to 12 months;
  • whether the leave is paid or unpaid and the ability to use other forms of paid leave as part of the parental leave period e.g. the employee can take annual leave at the same time;
  • the employee has the right to return to the same or a similar job in pay and status once their parental leave ends;
  • the ability to vary the start and return dates;
  • the notification requirements under the NES:
    • notification of the intended start and end dates of the leave at least 10 weeks before the start of the leave; and
    • confirmation of the start and end dates at least 4 weeks from the start of the leave.

More information

Further information about parental leave is available on the Fair Work Ombudsman’s website:

Government payments that an employee can apply for can be found on the Services Australia website: and

Speak to HABA

HABA members can call the HABA Advice Line on 02 9221 9911 and speak to a workplace relations adviser.



Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Copyright © Hair and Beauty Australia | ABN 781 333 722 00