Posted April 8, 2019
This year really is the year for difficult public holidays. First, we had Australia Day which fell funny for salon owners, and now ANZAC Day and the Easter Holidays fall quite close to each other, sure to create a headache for most salon owners.
In 2019, the Easter Public Holidays are as follows –
|GOOD FRIDAY||Friday 19 April||ALL STATES|
|EASTER SATURDAY||Saturday 20 April||NSW, VIC, QLD, NT, SA, ACT|
|EASTER SUNDAY||Sunday 21 April||NSW, VIC, QLD, ACT|
|EASTER MONDAY||Monday 22 April||ALL STATES|
*please look out for public holiday notices in your emails as HABA will be sending them out this week.
PLUS We have the ANZAC Day Public Holiday on the 25th of April. That’s alot going on if you’re a salon owner!
What you will find because of the way that the dates have fallen is you might get your staff coming to you and asking for a number of dates off – probably any combination of the 23rd, 24th, 26th and 27th of April – so that they get a total of 10 days leave. We have heard from our members that this is pretty common when a couple of public holidays fall in close to each other as it gives staff the impression that they can maximise their holiday time.
For some salon owners, they might determine that opening on Easter Saturday (in some states) and the two days between Easter Monday and ANZAC Day is just too difficult. If you’re in the position to do so, you may consider closing the salon for this period and taking a break yourself – remember, salon owners are entitled to a holiday too!
If you are going to be opening on this date, here are a few tips to help ensure the process runs smoothly for you
- Speak to your team at your team meeting in early April and inform them of the strange public holiday system.
- Ensure any member of your team booking appointments knows not to book on the public holidays and to book appointments closer together during this period – if you can get all your work done in the morning, then everyone can take the afternoon off.
- If you’re planning on having a break in your salon, make sure that you don’t schedule any appointments for those dates. Instead, push them to surrounding dates and make those more profitable.
- Remember that the week leading up to the break you might see a higher number of appointments as people get their treatments sorted before they go on holidays. Make sure you allow time for these appointments and balance your staff shifts correctly to service any extra business
- For your regular weekly or monthly appointments, make sure you warn them in advance about any change in hours. These clients are your bread and butter and it’s important to make sure that they still look their best even if hours and appointments are a bit all over the shop.
It’s important for you, your team and your salons profitability to ensure that you make the Easter and ANZAC Day public holidays work for you and work for your clients. Members who are unsure how the public holiday will affect them should call Hair and Beauty Australia on 02 9221 9911.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Copyright © Hair and Beauty Australia | ABN 781 333 722 00